What is a Method Statement
The statement is generally used as part of a safety induction and then referred to as required throughout a workplace, they should outline all the hazards that are likely to be encountered when undertaking a task or process and provide detailed guidance on how to carry out the task safely.
Whats included in a method Statement:
The method should contain, but not limited to the points below and outline clearly the method of works;
- Contractor name
- Method Statement ref.
- Date method statement prepared
- Person who prepared method statement
- Date work planned
- Expected duration of work
- Supervisor responsible for the works
- Full time person in charge of works
- Contact numbers for supervisor
- Location of planned work – floor level, room, etc.
- Persons involved in the works – names, trades, etc.
- Training requirements
- Detailed scope and step by step activities for the works
- Plant and equipment to be used in the works
- Materials to be used in the works
- Permits required for the works
- Safe access and egress routes to / from the works
- Segregation of persons from vehicles and other moving equipment
- Underground services
- Overhead services
- Working alongside/co-ordination with other contractors and activities
- Emergency procedure/s
- Assembly Point
- First Aid
- Out of hours working
- Working at heights
- Use of harness or other fall arrest systems
- Working close to open or leading edges
- Access to restricted areas such as roofs, chambers, tanks, pits
- Hot works, firewatch, fire monitoring
- Environmental considerations such as spillages, etc.
- Use of chemicals or other substances
- Material Safety Data Sheets
- Elect/Mech lock out / tag out
- Moving equipment
- Confined spaces
- Control of delivery/collection operations for materials, equipment and services.
- Temporary works design and certificate
- Risk Assessment of all hazards, with appropriate control measures
- All lifting appliances with SWL and certificates
Our new Method Statement engine is available online try it here